somewhere in… brought bangla to the internet in 2005 and gave birth to local blogging, now boasts 100000+ users on its highly popular platform. alongside the company has also been successfully serving nordic clients with off-shored IT and data services since 2005. we take pride in working “the nordic way” with our talents we so carefully select, people to trust in all situations. this makes somewhere in… a fun place to work, a place to grow! it is a work environment cultivated through inclusiveness, imagination, curiosity and engagement. somewherein.net.
the position is part of our on-going project with a norwegian institute, the Peace Research Institute Oslo (PRIO), www.prio.no . the job will involve working closely with personnel at PRIO, in particular its Norwegian Initiative on Small Arms Transfers (www.prio.no/nisat ) project which aims to research and promote control over the global trade in small arms and light weapons. PRIO conducts academic research on the conditions for peaceful relations between states, groups and people.
the job description is as follows:
• assist in conducting research (under close supervision) on the trade and other transfers of arms, particularly in relation to armed conflicts. This will involve:
o locating relevant information contained in press articles and other publications; and
o collating and processing information in software such as excel, and PRIO’s proprietary database software.
• use social media, such as twitter, facebook and blogging to disseminate research.
• these tasks will be carried out as part of a small team based in dhaka, and with regular contact with PRIO.
the following skills are necessary
• excellent command of written english
• patient and detail orientated, interested in working with data.
• confident working with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word and Excel), and willing to learn to use new software.
the following skills are an advantage
• a degree in the social sciences.
• competence in other international languages (eg french, arabic etc)
• previous experience in writing short articles (such as blogging or journalism).
• an interest in the arms trade, peace and conflict.
• previous experience in undertaking social science research.
please send in your cv at firstname.lastname@example.org by 30th may, 2014. salary and other benefit packages are negotiable.